Welcome to Five Tip Friday!
Each Friday, we'll post helpful tips about your BlackBerry 10 device. From software to hardware, you can be sure to get the latest info on your device right here!
1. Create a Slow-Motion Video
One of the cool new features introduced with OS 10.3 is a Slow-Motion video effect. If you captured something like a pie in the face, slip, or something else you want to see in slow-motion, here's how to do it:
- Open the Camera app on your BlackBerry 10 device
- Swipe Down from the top of the screen, and select Settings
- Enable one of the at 60 fps settings, such as 720p at 60 fps
Enabling a 60 fps setting allows you to capture smooth slow-motion video, instead of a lower setting which could result in choppy video. Now that you have this setting enabled, try recording some video:
- Open the Camera app on your device
- Select the Video icon
- Video will automatically begin recording
- Select the Stop icon when you are finished recording
After you've recorded the video, open the Pictures app on your device and navigate to the video you'd like to apply a Slow-Motion effect to. Click Edit, Enhance, and apply the Slow Motion option.
You can change the rate of the Slow Motion to 50% for a slightly quicker video result by selecting the Play Motion icon located to the left of the Trim selection, shown below. Optionally, you can move the blue selection bars to set specifics parts of the video you'd like to be in Slow Motion (it will automatically default to 25%):
After applying the Slow Motion enhancement, select Save. You can now view the saved video in your Pictures app on your device.
Here's an example of what you can do with the function, as our Founder @DHabkirk gets slapped:
2. Disable Sticker Packs In BBM
BlackBerry officially rolled out their newest update to BBM today, adding this cool feature: disable your BBM Sticker Packs.
If you're unsure how to do this, follow the steps below:
- Ensure you're running the latest version of BBM (10.8) by clicking here
- Open BBM on your BlackBerry 10 device
- Open one of your active chats, or begin a new BBM chat
- Select the Emoticon icon
- Select the Settings icon
- Disable or Enable the installed sticker packs when prompted
Note: This does not disable sticker packs from showing in your chats when sent by other users. This will only disable your sticker packs.
3. Change Your BBM Contacts Layout
Within BBM, you can change the layout of your contacts; and while you only have two options, List or Grid, the choosing is left to you. Enabled by default, is the Grid view - but here's how to change the view to List:
- Open BBM
- Swipe down from the top of your screen
- Select Settings
- Scroll down to Contacts Layout
- Select Grid or List
4. Quickly Access Browsing History
On the BlackBerry 10 browser, most users are familiar with accessing their browsing history by opening the Menu located on the left of the screen and selecting History. But did you know that there's a faster way?
Check out these steps below:
- Open the Browser on your BlackBerry 10 device
- Navigate to one of your favourite sites, such as BlackBerryCentral
- Touch and hold on the Back-Page icon located next to the URL
5. Enable One-Touch Voicemail
For direct and fast access to your Voicemail, you can set your password to enable one-touch access.
Here's how to do it:
- Open the Phone app on your BlackBerry 10 device
- Swipe down from the top of the screen, and select Settings
- Select Voicemail
- Select Set Password
Need to enter a pause before the password is entered? Edit the Voicemail Access Number and add a Pause to the end of the number:
On a Z3, Z10, Z30, Leap, Passport - Edit the number, adding to the end by selecting the Pause button when prompted
On a BlackBerry Q5, Q10, Classic - Edit the number, and enter an asterisk (*) to the end of the number when prompted
That's it for this week's Five Tip Friday, have a great weekend #TeamBlackBerry! Be sure to keep an eye out for next weeks post!